Wednesday, June 3, 2015

We Figured Out How to Beat JetLag

Morning!
I value my sleep. Especially now that I'm unemployed, "beauty rest" has taken on a whole new meaning. Waking up in time for an 11am workout class has become the norm in my new, retired life, and though I will say I've never looked better or felt more well-rested, it's not exactly a schedule that conforms with the rest of the world.

Because of this, I was very, very nervous about the Jet Lag situation when I got to Europe. Copenhagen is 6 hours behind New York (a time difference that proved disastrous when I was trying to keep in touch with my  college boyfriend during my semester abroad) which is an awkward amount of time to adjust to, especially just for the week.

To combat this problem, my travel-mates and I simply decided not to adjust.

In Copenhagen, it was only dark from 11:30pm to 4:30am, which was prime time to be at the bar. We would walk into whatever drinking establishment we'd chosen for the evening as the sun started to go down, and walk out just as it started to rise. It became a game to  challenge ourselves get home before the sun was fully risen, but this became incredibly difficult because the hotdog vendors started to open at 5am, and we couldn't help but to stop for a drunken snack (or, as other people call it, breakfast). We would go to bed at 6am and wake up at 1pm, which gave us a full 10 hours of daylight to do activities (such as drink beers in the streets and drive Go Boats). This meant that in New York time, we were sleeping from 12-5am, which is actually pretty normal for a young working adult in the city.

The morning of the marathon, Alix's friends (who had arrived the night before and were running the race) had had a full nights sleep and gone out to breakfast between the time we'd seen them for dinner  the night before and the time we got home from the bar. They snapchatted her a picture of them in their running gear, she responded with a picture of us eating breakfast hotdogs.

Our weird schedule only posed a problem when we wanted to go out to dinner, but other than that it made coming back to the US a breeze (5 pounds heavier, but a breeze!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment