Sunday, May 17, 2015

Going Back to College is SAD

The four years I spent at Georgetown were the best years of my life.

Trying to break into The Coop
I know that's a bold statement to make, as many would argue that "the best is yet to come," (marriage and kids, belch) but I firmly, firmly believe that I will never be again be as happy as I was during the eight semesters I was lucky enough to call The Hilltop my home.

This weekend, I had the pleasure of returning to Georgetown to watch my little brother graduate. It wasn't the first time I had been back on campus (I've been to one homecoming and one basketball game in the last two years) but it was the first time I had ever been there without my friends.

Going back in the context of "big sister" rather than "drunk alumni" was a weird experience, to say the least. At every party we went to, I was stuck talking to my brother's roommates' parents while he and his friends took shots of cheap vodka in the corner. The place that used to make me feel so young and fun suddenly made me realize how much I had grown up in the last two years, and I seriously hated it. At one point, I looked around and realized there was no ice at the bar, then instantly felt like a lame old lady– college me never would have cared about, or even noticed, a lack of ice.

There is nothing more jarring than returning to a place you used to call home only to realize that everything has changed. The bars we used to go to have all closed down, and the familiar faces felt fewer and far between than they ever had before. Walking by the house that I lived in for two years and realizing I couldn't just walk right in was, by far, the weirdest feeling of all.

My college experience was abnormal in that it was pretty much perfect. I had an amazing group of friends, all of whom I still talk to every day, and I don't think it would have been possible to have had more fun than we did. Spring Break 2013 literally almost got us killed. We are all incredibly lucky that the majority of us landed in New York, and that we still, to some extent, get to experience the glory days. But being back at school this past weekend, made me realize how much has changed, even if we still do all get to hang out all the time. We are all grown ups with jobs (well, actually, not me...) and responsibilities and rents to pay and grocery shopping to do. We still live only 10 or 20 blocks from each other, but it's still unfathomably farther than the 10 or 20 feet we had to walk in college. My best friends are all now uptown, which even after two years is a whole lot different than upstairs.

Don't get me wrong: as far as lives in the real world go, I feel incredibly grateful for mine. But after being back at Georgetown, it's hard not to feel nostalgic for the absolute heaven we used to live in.

Grad school here I come? 

No comments:

Post a Comment