Monday, October 26, 2015

Am I a Grownup, Yet?

The other day, my high school boyfriend texted me after reading my blog post about what it was like to date me (he refused to provide feedback and "plead the fifth" when I asked him about it. Law school has made him kind of obnoxious) and started inquiring about my life. He moved to California to live with his new girlfriend, and the only time we really talk is when I text him once a month to find out if they've gotten engaged yet and he ignores me. We haven't seen each other since he left New York 2 years ago, but have remained good friends (when he decides to respond to my texts, at least).

As we were catching up, he commented on the fact that my blog made it seem like I'd gotten really mature in the last few years.

..... Ummm, really? Are you sure you're reading the right blog?

It got me thinking, though. In some ways, I really have grown up —at least a little bit— since the last time I saw him (when I was 22 and could still drink 6 nights a week and function as a normal human being the next day). I can't wear Pleasure Doing Business bandage skirts to the bar anymore, can't get away with flirting my way to the front of the line and can't leave the house with wet hair. I don't hang out at Brother Jimmy's/Saloon/13th Step, and don't take nearly as many tequila shots as I used to (I still do them, just not 15 at a time in quick succession)

I swear I'm not boring, just not 21 anymore. There are a fews other things that make me feel like a grown ass woman, none of which involve "falling in love" or "settling down" anytime soon. I'm still, technically, only a "young" adult.

1. Having My Own Netflix Account.... And Other Annoying Stuff I have to Pay For Myself

I used that same boyfriend's Netflix account for 8 years (sorry to him and his family for screwing up there "recommended" list), until last spring when I decided it was time to man up and splurge for the $10.99 a month so it would stop telling me I had to watch "Vikings." I also now pay normal bills too (which, in college, weirdly seemed optional).

2. Ordering Wine at a bar

Bonus points if I actually know what kind of wine I'm ordering (it's rare, but it happens).

3. Waking up and realizing I haven't Drunk Texted Anyone

At 24, it's sort of stopped being cute to be blacked out drunk and texting embarrassing stuff to boys (Ok fine. It wasn't ever cute.) But as someone who used to do it all the time, it's nice to finally feel like I've grown out of it. The texts do, admittedly still happen, just not as often and not nearly as desperate.

4. Wearing slacks, and/or high heels during the day

In general, I am a mess. Especially now that I don't have a job, and can wear leggings and sneakers all day every day if I want to (#college) it's tough to find the motivation to pull myself together. When I can somehow manage to put on pants that aren't jeans, and actual high heels before 6pm, and not feel like a complete, overdressed, doofus; I consider it a successful afternoon.

5. Using the Oven

I'm a terrible cook. I make the same meal every night, and still haven't even gotten that down. That said, every once in a while (as in, ONE time in 2015 when I roped myself into cooking dinner for a guy I was dating) I like to experiment. Something about pulling a roasted chicken out of the oven makes me feel like "Ok, maybe I will have a domestic skill to offer to a husband one day." Again, this has only happened once, but I swear I'll get there.

6. Scheduling My Own Doctors Appointments

I haven't been to an actual doctor in 6 years (so far, so good— fingers crossed). The last time I went for a checkup was when I went to my pediatrician before I left for college (a few months ago had a real panic when I needed my medical records for grad school and they told me they'd shredded them). Going to the dentist/gynecologist (two different doctors, to be clear), though, are things I actually remember to do every year. In fairness, my dentist is still in Rhode Island, but when I need an appointment I do call them myself; I just usually have to get their phone number from my mom, first.

7. Having A Preference in Vodka

Ordering a "Titos and Soda" sounds so much more sophisticated than a "vodka soda." Ordering a "Tito's Martini, Extra Dirty, Hold the Vermouth," pretty much makes me the classiest girl in Manhattan.  (As a side note-  I "accidentally" ordered a vodka soda at 11am Easter Brunch when I met my ex-boyfriends parents for the first time. That was 8 months ago, though, so I'd like to think I know better now— at least I would order it with better vodka).

8. Getting Manicures

I'm not sure when, exactly, it happened, but at some point in the last 2 years it became unacceptable for me to walk around with chipped nails. I hate sitting and getting manicures (I get SoOoOoO bored, and always manage to mess them up before I leave the salon) but it makes me feel like a real woman, especially if I use red polish.

9. Being a "Morning Person"

In college, I could sleep all day. On days when I didn't have class, I would hole up in my room until 3 or 4pm, and only emerge when it was time to go to dinner/start getting ready to start drinking again. Now, though, I am up without fail before 8:30 every morning, even on the weekends, despite the fact that I'm technically back on a student schedule (with class 2 days a week— don't judge me). Mornings are when I get the most productive work done, and when the cutest boys hang out at the coffee shop I use as my office.


10. Not Getting Carded

Kind of awesome, kind of offensive. 100% means I'm getting old, and starting to look like it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment